I saw these cupcakes on Like Mother, Like Daughter (lmld.org) and just had to make them. I love owls so these are perfect for me and so easy, even I couldn’t mess these up. All I had to do was make a batch of cupcakes using my own recipe (phew!), make some butter icing and decorate them to look like owls. The outcome – they looked like owls and tasted great (if I do say so myself)!
The only downside to these great cakes – if you can call it that – is that the oreos used to create the owls go soggy quite quickly, so the cakes need to be eaten sooner rather than later! (Oh, and some of the oreos were broken so some of the owls looked a little worse for wear, but still delicious)!
The chocolate cupcake recipe I used ( although you can just use your own) is:
- 6oz caster sugar
- 6oz butter
- 5oz self-raising flour
- 1oz cocoa
- 3 eggs
- tbsp warm water
- 50g butter
- 100g icing sugar
- 20g cocoa
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Beat sugar and butter together.
- Add flour and cocoa, sieved.
- Add eggs, beating between each addition.
- Add warm water and mix until blended into batter.
- Split batter between 12 cupcake cases.
- Bake for 25 mins.
- Leave to cool on wire rack
- Sieve icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl, add the butter and mix until the required consistency is reached.
- Once the cakes have cooled, cover the top with the icing, making two little points for the owl’s ears.
- Add two oreo halves with the white cream facing up for the owl’s eyes.
- Using some of the butter icing stick a brown M+M in the centre of each oreo.
- Use an orange M+M for the owl’s nose and stick it between the oreos.
As it was our wedding anniversary on Sunday I thought I would make another cake. It was a variation on the coconut and jam loaf I made last week but instead of jam I used chocolate.
It was more of a success than the jam one so obviously leaving it out in the middle of baking didn’t help at all. The chocolate loaf cooked in the right time and tasted very nice.
A much more successful week of baking so hopefully I am now on a roll.